Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Now you're just somebody that I used to know

Sometimes when I'm humming songs out loud, Avery will ask me if it's "stuck on my brain." Yes. Here's the one today: Gotye -- Somebody That I Used to Know

I heard it in the car yesterday and looked it up on youtube today. Ugh, I can't stop listening to it. It's so intense, yet I have no personal experience to attach it to. I think it's because I never dated some emotional artist type who didn't want to be with me but was irritable when I disappeared. I almost texted the name of the song to my dearest friend from college who I never get to talk to anymore, but then I thought she might think I'm disowning her and calling her "somebody I used to know." Certainly not the case.

One time, when we were playing Loaded Questions with my parents, the question came up, "What is the WORST thing that someone could say to you?" (This is my favorite game. Who comes up with these questions!?) I don't remember what anyone else's responses were, but I think they were along the lines of  "You were never there for me." or "You have no talent."

My mom, the ever bright and cheery lady who can still throw down some darkness, answered, "You're dead to me." -- The table responded with silence. Disbelief. Then laughing. --  To this day, it cracks me up. Because, WHO SAYS THAT? Certainly NOT my mom! It's just so ridiculous. If someone said that to me, I don't even think I could muster being offended, because clearly they've lost their mind. Either we're not close enough for them to threaten "deadness" OR we're tight, and we'll find a way to work it out.

What about you?? What's the worst thing someone can say to you? I think "You're just somebody that I used to know" is high on my list, and now that I'm thinking about it, it's sounding very much like "You're dead to me." Just without the dead part.

2 comments:

  1. its funny...in your experience that would be one of the worst things to have been said to you...in my experience this is what every break up feels like. i have had 3 serious relationships/break ups that felt this way. you are in love, every day and every minute that one person is involved (or atleast in the back of your mind) for every decision, every move you make...and then, all of a sudden. poof! no more! the more time that passes, the less you remember. and if, god forbid, you run into them somewhere...you have nothing to say. nothing to talk about. this one person, that you shared everything with, you told everything to...now...nothing! ....like they were just someone you used to know...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Almost that's you're dead to me is that you are mediocre. Yoe dion't matter much. You are in the multitudes of people working every day in their cubicles. In fact, if your cubicle were to be vacant, I would fill it tomorrow. Hey, can you tell I am wining it up right now?

    ReplyDelete